TALE OF THE WHALE

A while back, my nephew Zachary telephoned asking if I would take him fishing. “Maybe we can go up to Lake Erie? I can fish and you can draw!” (Maybe I can catch a really big one!  – A WHALE? – Yeah!!! – Laughter…….  Sounds like a plan!!).

The next day, when his  mother dropped him of, he was armed with a knapsack, tackel box, rods and all sorts of assorted exotic equipment. I grabbed my bag with the drawing supplies and off we went! This was the big one we were headed for – Lake Erie, not some inland country puddle!

The first spot, his favorite, we found the fishing pier closed.  Bummer…….. After collecting some driftwood and other treasures given up by the lake, we decide to drive a bit further west. “Even if I don’t catch anything, maybe I can at least get my line wet!” he said.

We ended up at Edgewater Park. Nice, no locked gate just a warning sign: DANGER – HIGH WAVES!  Out along the large reinforced concrete pier to it’s very end we went. Hum, pretty windy.

After setting up, we got down to some serious bussiness: Zachary fishing and me drawing. In not to long a time we realzed how windy it was and how wild the waves were that day! We had better hold on to our stuff!  He managed to cast his line in a few times, which was taken all over the place. And I, completed a couple of drawings that the wind was intently trying to rip off my pad.

Finally the two of us looked at each other and decided to just sit and enjoy the show!!

And what a show it was!  Water churning and waves crashing all around us.  Spectacular!!!

I suppose that this is the one thing that people take for granted and do not fully appreciate and respect: How powerful the Great Lakes truly are!

Then, as a bonus, we were treated to a terrific sunset!

Gathering our belongings, we set out to the car and on home.

As we were walking away Zack asked: “Was that a WOW moment Uncle?”

Yes, it certainly was Zack – and thank you for that!!!

🙂

PS: Our excursion led to a series of paintings. The first of which “EDGEWATER DIPTYCH” is shown above. To learn more about this piece, please go to:

More to come……….

11 Responses to “TALE OF THE WHALE”

1. Bill says:

Andrij –
    Very nice – thanks for the note and story.
    Peace and best,
    Bill

2. Mary says:

Very cool.
    Love the story!!

3. Janet Simonovich says:

Nice narrative to accompany your work…

4. Ted Chanter says:

Nice story, Andrij, with a happy ending. I love those memories that are created for you. Just take the time to recognize and enjoy them.

5. Bob Wynne says:

Great (back) story and resulting works of art!

Andrij you have a gift for writing as well as your visual, you should think about a coffee table book of short stories relating to each resulting piece or series. A digital version would make a great multiplier.

Keep following your heart (and your nephew) to the next adventure.

6. Katherine says:

I love this story and this is an awesome painting!

7. Cristina McCarthy says:

How big were the waves? Just kidding … love the colors you captured on the painting… nothing like “wow” moments! and nature is the perfect backdrop for wow moments.

8. Nina Messina says:

Great story, wonderful paintings…I like Bob’s idea of a coffee table book of stories and your artwork… WOW that would be cool!

9. Annetta says:

very nice….yes, a coffee table book…..I like it.

10. Taras says:

Interesting read!

We have never fished Lake Erie, but while at Turtle Lake up north in Saskatchewan, Joanne could not keep the pickerel off her line while taking in the sun on the dock. I cleaned, and we had a wonderful pickerel fry.

11. Peter Mychaluk says:

I have spent many a day at Presque Isle Bay Park and visited that Park beach -which most times were very nice. Although once it was a blustery day and true to form, this [relatively shallow] Lake Erie became a “dreary” one, with waves crashing all around the stone breakwater, so we retreated to visit the Maritime Museum nearby where we watched the history of th 70 – to 80 odd shipwrecks in the lake’s sailing history.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comments-bottom

Featured Photos

MLENKA: TRIPTYCH Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Jul 19th, 2017 | no responses
DOWN TERWOOD ROAD Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Jul 8th, 2017 | no responses
‘TILL TOMORROW Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Jul 8th, 2017 | no responses

Random Photos

Oakleaf Posted by author icon Raymond Dalley Jr. / Webmaster Sep 1st, 2010 | no responses
Little Baker Posted by author icon Raymond Dalley Jr. / Webmaster Aug 30th, 2010 | no responses
SUNSET DANCE Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Jul 13th, 2015 | no responses

Top Rated

Clown Fish Posted by author icon Raymond Dalley Jr. / Webmaster
1 Point2 Points3 Points4 Points5 Points (Best) (3 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
Hunter Posted by author icon Raymond Dalley Jr. / Webmaster
1 Point2 Points3 Points4 Points5 Points (Best) (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
FAMILY MEMORIES Posted by author icon Andrij Maday