“ANATOMY OF AN ICON” LECTURE AT VIRGINIA MARTI COLLEGE

This past Wednesday,

in addition to my regular courses at Virginia Marti College,

I was asked to teach the Art History class.

The topic for that particular week was

Byzantium.

Since one of  the disciplines in which I work is Byzantine Iconography, I was approached to be the guest instructor for that week.

The session began, with a brief historical sketch of the era of Emperor St. Constantine the Great and his moving of the capitol of the Roman Empire to Byzantium (Constantinople) and Emperor St. Justinian’s building of the Hagia Sophia there.

From here our journey took us to Great Prince St. Vladimir’s acceptance of Christianity from Byzantium for his realm of Kyivan-Rus (today’s Ukraine), it’s spread throughout eastern Europe from there, and the building the Hagia Sophia in Kyiv by his son Great Prince St. Yaroslav.

This was followed by an explanation of what an Icon is and its usage.

A slide presentation

“ANATOMY OF AN ICON”

was then shown.

The slides illustrated the production of an Icon from beginning to end.

After a brief break,

actual works, both in progress as well as completed, were shared with the students

– as were supplemental photos of larger projects and installations.

This segment was accompanied by a question and answer session.

~~~

Many thanks to Mr. Matthew Dodd for the opportunity to pinch hit for him

and to the students for their interest and unique questions!

No one fell asleep!

(that I noticed)

🙂

16 Responses to ““ANATOMY OF AN ICON” LECTURE AT VIRGINIA MARTI COLLEGE”

1. Cristina says:

I am sorry I missed this presentation .. it sounded so informative!
    How would anyone fall asleep with this type of presentation?
    One day I will still visit Hagia Sophia!
    When will you present this again? 🙂

2. Ann says:

Nice!
    Congrats!

3. Nina Messina says:

I would have loved to see this.
    I hope you will get the opportunity to do it again!

4. Andrij W. says:

Please correct your reference to “Saint” Sophia in Kyiv.
    (Not “Hagia Sophia” as referenced in the earlier sentence)

• Andrij Maday says:

The Old Slavonic as well as Modern Ukrainian word “Sviata” (fem. gender) can be both translated as Saint and /or Holy. It depends on the context in which it is used.

The “Sviata Sophia” in Kyiv is the church of THE HOLY WISDOM OF GOD. Not the church of Saint Sophia the mother of Saints Faith, Hope and Love (Vira, Nadia & Lubov)!

It takes it’s name from it’s prototype in Constantinople The HAGIA SOPHIA.
      HAGIA SOPHIA in Ancient Greek literally means HOLY WISDOM!

5. Merrie says:

What a gift to the art history students!
    Was it your art I saw you sharing?
    This would be a fantastic lecture for all to enjoy….given by a master of his craft.
    I do hope the school asks you to do another.
    Sorry I missed this one!

6. FR. NEKETAS says:

IT LOOKED AS THOUGH IT WAS ONE OF YOUR MASTERFUL PRESENTATIONS!

WE LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RETURN TO SEATTLE TO COMPLETE YOUR WORK IN FILLING OUR CHURCH WITH YOUR ICONOGRAPHY.

7. Sorry that the college did not make this opportunity available to all of us as far as advertising or even letters in everyone’s mail box!

We need more importance given to lectures and interest such as this.

p.s.
    Beautiful job!

• Andrij Maday says:

This was a class done as part of the Art History 1 course. Who knew that there would be such an extended interest.

Perhaps, if the College chooses to do it again, the lecture could be open to the general faculty and student body.

8. Kuba Wisniewski says:

Andrij,

I should see your presentation since we
    disscused this (iconography) subject.

Ah, what a pity that I missed it.

I hope you’ll present it again (and inform me before).
    You are great in it!

9. Andrea says:

I loved it,
    very interesting,
    thank you soo very much!

10. Eric Kucinski says:

I’m very disappointed I missed out on this. I miss knowing what’s going on at the school. Maybe I should request event notifications.

Looks like it went well, your work is always a treat to see!

11. Matthew Dodd says:

I just wanted to leave a comment again thanking you for serving as guest lecturer for my History of Art class while I was predisposed in the Advisory Committee meeting that evening. I’m truly looking forward to hearing the students reactions to your presentation. I know that they had a rare opportunity to learn from a true expert on the subject.

Many thanks!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comments-bottom

Featured Photos

MLENKA: TRIPTYCH Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Jul 19th, 2017 | no responses
DOWN TERWOOD ROAD Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Jul 8th, 2017 | no responses
‘TILL TOMORROW Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Jul 8th, 2017 | no responses

Random Photos

Giclée: THEOTOKOS OF... Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Dec 2nd, 2012 | no responses
DAYBREAK Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Jun 10th, 2013 | no responses
AFTER THE FINAL SHOW... Posted by author icon Andrij Maday Sep 11th, 2015 | no responses

Top Rated

Clown Fish Posted by author icon Raymond Dalley Jr. / Webmaster
1 Point2 Points3 Points4 Points5 Points (Best) (3 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
Hunter Posted by author icon Raymond Dalley Jr. / Webmaster
1 Point2 Points3 Points4 Points5 Points (Best) (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
FAMILY MEMORIES Posted by author icon Andrij Maday